What units is atomic mass measured in?

is measured in atomic mass units, or amu.

Atomic mass units were taken from one proton or neutron of carbon-12, which each weigh 1 amu. Carbon-12 weighs exactly 12 amu. On , you can see that carbon (C) has a number underneath it that is very close to 12. This is called the atomic mass.

To put this in different words, 1 amu is equal to 1/12 the mass of a carbon-12 atom, which has a mass of exactly 12 amu. For another example, a normal helium atom has 2 electrons, 2 protons, and 2 neutrons. Because each proton and each neutron weights one amu, a normal helium atom weighs 4 amu.

However, atomic masses are slightly different than atomic mass units. Notice that on the periodic table, atoms don’t have full numbers underneath them, but very precise decimals. This is because atomic masses of as a whole are calculated by taking a weighted average of the different (or variations in terms of neutrons) of an element.

For example, carbon has two naturally occurring isotopes, carbon-12 (with 12 neutrons), and carbon-13 (with 13 neutrons). Carbon-12 is the form of 98.9% of naturally occurring carbon (weighing 12 amu), and carbon-13 is only the remaining 1.1% (weighing 13.003355 amu). To find the weighted average, we multiply the percentage by the amu of each isotope.

(0.989)(12.000000 amu) + (0.011)(13.003355 amu) = 11.8680 amu + 0.1430369 amu = 12.011 amu, the atomic mass of carbon as an element. Hope this helped!

Show more

Calculate Your Essay Price
(550 words)

Approximate price: $22

Calculate the price of your order

550 words
We'll send you the first draft for approval by September 11, 2018 at 10:52 AM
Total price:
The price is based on these factors:
Academic level
Number of pages
Basic features
  • Free title page and bibliography
  • Unlimited revisions
  • Plagiarism-free guarantee
  • Money-back guarantee
  • 24/7 support
On-demand options
  • Writer’s samples
  • Part-by-part delivery
  • Overnight delivery
  • Copies of used sources
  • Expert Proofreading
Paper format
  • 275 words per page
  • 12 pt Arial/Times New Roman
  • Double line spacing
  • Any citation style (APA, MLA, Chicago/Turabian, Harvard)

Our guarantees

Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.

Money-back guarantee

You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.

Read more

Zero-plagiarism guarantee

Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.

Read more

Free-revision policy

Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.

Read more

Privacy policy

Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.

Read more

Fair-cooperation guarantee

By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.

Read more

Order your essay today and save 10% with the coupon code: best10